Managing people is a simple process. Yet, it is never easy. In Atlanta and across our parts of Georgia, positive relationships and success go hand-in-hand. 2014 offers all of us a fast paced business environment to work within every single day. Managing stress, facilitating issues, and having accurate decision making are all a part of the collective opportunity leadership experiences every day. Communication is essential.
Leadership and management must address problems and create solutions, yet produce positive results that benefit the entire organization.
No matter the situation, focusing on the positives rather than negatives builds relationships and improves morale.
When assessing job performance, assess the following:
- View everything as a positive learning experience: In every circumstance, communication and active listening go a long way at understanding an employee’s situation.
- Put yourself in the place of the employee: Good leadership involves the employee in every discussion about performance.
- Look for pattern and excuse the unusual: If there is a late assignment or a short-term absenteeism, assess if it has happened before. Issues can happen to all of us at any time.
How leadership reacts and handles issues with job performance can positively or negatively impact the climate (morale) and culture.
The Carnegie techniques in handling people problems are found within the pages of “How to Win Friends & Influence People”, the business Dale Carnegie classic. It is all about how leadership manages their most important asset, the people.
- Don’t criticize, condemn or complain.
- Give honest and sincere appreciation.
- Arouse in the other person an eager want.
Winning for the business and influencing relationships in a positive way, continues to make sense as we head more deeply into this year.
This post is brought to you by the good folks at Dale Carnegie Training Atlanta, providers of professional development and management development courses and information in Atlanta. We’d love to connect with you on Facebook.